Master of Engineering (M.E.)

The Master of Engineering (M.E.) degree with a concentration in Chemical Engineering will deepen your knowledge about various aspects of chemical engineering beyond what you learned as an undergraduate. You will have the opportunity to conduct research and contribute something new to the field by doing experiments to prove or disprove a point and taking part in research publications.

This degree is a non-thesis, 30-semester-hour program designed to suit your needs as a practicing chemical engineer. You must meet the following requirements for a chemical engineering concentration.

Admission Requirements

Admission standards are designed to ensure that you are a qualified professional serving in a leadership role in your engineering discipline. The primary requirements are as follows:

  1. The general requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies
  2. B.S. in Engineering or Equivalent (Transcripts required)
  3. If English is a second language, obtain the minimum scores in IELTS or TOEFL according to the latest University policy.
  4. Personal statement on why you are a strong candidate and should be considered for admission.

In addition to the above requirements, you may choose to include the following optional items for consideration:

  1. Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
  2. Research Record – List of projects, publications, and presentations
  3. Recommendation Letters (no more than 3 will be considered)

Degree Requirements

  1. All College of Graduate Studies general degree requirements
  2. Completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework, of which at least 6 hours must come from:
    CHEN 6302 Transport Phenomena
    CHEN 6343 Kinetics and Reactor Design
    CHEN 6347 Advanced Thermodynamics
    CHEN 6348 Advanced Chemical Engineering Mathematics
    a. All other CHEN 5xxx and 6xxx level courses may be taken toward your degree.
    b. Other 5xxx and 6xxx level courses from other engineering or science disciplines may be considered for approval by department graduate advisor on a per case basis.
  3. Of the 30 hours, at least 12 hours MUST come from CHEN.  You are STRONGLY encouraged to take more than 12 hours from CHEN, as you will need to have course options for your comprehensive examination
  4. Satisfactory completion of a final comprehensive examination