Housing and Residence Life
Why Live on Campus? You'll Get Countless Benefits!
Residence Life provides safe, inclusive, and secure residential communities where a diverse, innovative, and responsive team of professionals encourages students to pursue academic excellence, personal growth, civic leadership, and responsibility. By living on campus, students are given more opportunities to form friendships, attend campus events, easily access faculty and other support services on campus, and have an improved likelihood of academic success.
- According to research, on-campus students do better academically than their peers who live off-campus.
- Students who live on-campus are more likely return to the university for their next year of school.
- On-campus students find it easier to take advantage of academic assistance services and also get increased motivation by working alongside their peers.
- Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Residents are issued an access ID card granting them entrance to their residence hall.
- Front doors are staffed by security officers.
- Lamar University Police interact with residents while making rounds in the residence halls and the exterior campus.
- Safety Awareness Programs and evacuation drills occur.
- Residence Life staff make rounds inside the residence halls on a regular basis.
- Students are within walking distance of classrooms, Gray Library, Dining Hall, and Convenience Store with Papa John's Pizza, Setzer Student Center and food locations, and the Recreational Sports Center.
- Shuttle service available for students.
- No need to worry about monthly bills. All services are included in the your semester bill.
- Trained undergraduate Community Leaders live on each floor to assist residents.
- Graduate Assistants, each with Bachelors degrees,live in each residence hall and are supervised by Resident and Assistant Directors, each with Masters degrees,who also live in the residence halls.
- Individual housing contract
- Convenient access to Student Health Center
- Controlled card access entry
- Close to Recreational Sports Center with evening and weekend hours
- Live-in professional staff
- Convenience store with Papa John's Pizza
- On-site laundry facilities
- 24-hour security monitoring
- Swimming pool
- Full kitchens for residents' use
- High-speed wired and wireless internet and cable TV
- Study areas and community activity centers
- All-inclusive cost
- Special activities and events just for residents
Residence Life Incentive Program
A special incentive for Lamar University students in good standing living in University Housing:
- Each new LU Resident who signs a contract for the 2016-2017 academic year will receive a $500 housing credit, which will be applied to the Student’s room rent for 2016-2017 ($250 per semester).
- Current LU Residents (2015-2016 academic year) who sign a housing Contract for the 2016-2017 academic year are also eligible and will receive the housing credit for 2016-2017 academic year ($250 per semester).
- Resident must live in University housing for the entire academic year immediately prior to the academic year in which the housing credit is applied;
- Resident must have completed at least 24 credit hours at LU;
- Resident must have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average;
- The Resident’s account balance with the University must be current, and
- The Resident must occupy a room in University housing when the credit is applied.
Residents who have either an academic scholarship or an athletic scholarship from LU are not eligible for the housing credit. The credit will only be applied to room rent in University housing. The credit will not be applied to meal plans, tuition, fees, books, or other University charges, nor will the Resident receive the credit as cash.