Be A Resident Assistant
What is a Resident Assistant?
The Resident Assistant (RA) is responsible for building community in a residence hall, overseeing about 40-100 students. RA's report to a Residence Director (RD) or Assistant Director (AD). The RA is responsible for creating a positive, inclusive living and learning environment in the residence halls.
The RA is the most direct link between the Office of Residence Life and the residents. RA's must maintain open and effective face-to-face communication between themselves and their residents. The RA position is a 20 hour per week commitment, including desk shifts (10 hours), and “active” time (10 hours). The RA position is a full academic year commitment (August to May).
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- At least 30 credit hours completed & sophomore standing
- Have no other on-campus employment commitments
- Be an undergraduate enrolled full-time during employment
- Be in good academic and student conduct standing with the university
- Serve on an on-call rotation that requires you to be in the residence hall one weekday night per week and one weekend per month
- Attend mandatory trainings and orientations at the beginning of each semester
- Attend mandatory monthly all-staff inservices
- Build healthy, positive relationships with other students
- Work collaboratively with others
- Be able to work at least 10 weekday hours at the desk as scheduled by your supervisor
Sounds great! How do I apply?
If you meet the requirements, and you believe that you can be a great asset to the Residence Life team at Lamar University, visit OrgSync to complete the online application.
If you have any questions about RA selection, email Yinka Jenmy, Assistant Director of Residence Life, at email@example.com.