• Are Performance Reviews Required for All Employees?

    Performance reviews are required for all full and part-time staff employees.

  • Job Applications

    What information will I need to gather before completing the application process?

    Before beginning the application process, you will need information regarding your educational history, your employment history and reference information.

    Please Note: If you are selected for hire your background check must be complete and you must present I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification documentation prior to starting work.

    How do I search for current job openings?

    Our online application process allows you to search for job(s) that interest you. You will be able to search for jobs by posting number, department or job title. You can also use key words to search for jobs.

    How long does it take to process my application?

    Your application is immediately accessible by the hiring department upon completion of your online submission.

    What happens after I submit my application and resume in the system?

    Once your application is in the system, it will be reviewed by the hiring department. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be contacted by the hiring department. The length of the recruitment process can vary based on the needs of the individual hiring departments.

    How can I confirm that I was successful at completing the application online?

    Once you have successfully completed the online application process, a confirmation number will appear for your reference. Your application is not complete until you receive this confirmation number.

    Should I call Human Resources to check on the status of my application?

    Please do not call Human Resources to check on the status of your application. You will be able to check on your status by logging into your user account, created during the application process. Once logged in, you will be able to identify the status of all jobs applied for at Lamar University.

    How often does Lamar University update the job postings?

    Jobs are posted as they become available. Jobs are removed from the website as soon as they are closed.

    Can I mail my application instead of completing an application online?

    No, we only accept online applications.

    How do I submit my resume and other supporting documents?

    You will be able to submit a resume and cover letter each time you apply for a position. Our online application system will prompt you on how and when to attach your documents.

    Will I be able to print my application when done?

    Yes, you will be able to print a copy of your completed application.

    What if I need to update my application and/or resume?

    You will be able to log into the system and update your application 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. This updated application can then be used to apply for additional positions.

    You may also upload an updated resume each time you apply for a position.

    What if I am not ready to complete the application right now?

    You will be asked to create a user account during the online application process. Once created, you can complete a portion or all of the application before logging out.

    Be sure to save your work before logging out.

    Can I apply for more than one job at a time?

    Yes. Once you have completed your online application through our online site, you can apply for multiple positions that are currently open.

    To apply for another job, log back on the online site and apply. The application you originally submitted will still be in the system available for you to update and submit for another job opening.

    How can I make changes or updates to my application?

    Changes can be made to your general application at any time. Log in using your username and password. Once you have selected the position you want to apply for, make the changes to your application and save.

    The next time you apply for a position, your revised application will be saved. However, once you complete an application for a specific position, you cannot go back and edit the submitted application.

    Can I apply directly with the hiring department?

    No. The Lamar University Jobs online employment site is the only place where you can apply for positions.

    Can I apply by sending my resume via email?

    We do not accept resumes via fax, email or dropped off in person. Only online applications will be accepted.

    If I submit my application without the required documents, will my application still be reviewed?

    Your application will not be accepted without the required documents.

    Who is eligible for Veteran’s Employment Preference points?

    A veteran qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference if the veteran (a) served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps of the United States or the United States Public Health Service under 42 U.S.C. Section 201 et seq., as amended; the Texas military forces as defined by Section 437.001; an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and (b) was honorably discharged. Auxiliary services are noted as the women's units (WAF, WAC, WM, and WAV).

    A veteran’s surviving spouse who has not remarried qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference if the veteran was killed while on active duty.

    A veteran’s orphan qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference if the veteran was killed while on active duty.

    In order to receive Veteran’s Employment Preference, applicants must provide verification documents at the time of application.

    When is a hiring manager required to interview a veteran?

    Legislation requires that interview pools of up to 6 people consist of at least one person who qualifies for VEP, provided the minimum qualifications of the job are met, regardless of the veteran applicant’s matrix score.

    If interviewing more than 6 candidates, 20% of those interviewed must qualify for VEP, provided they meet the minimum qualifications, regardless of the veteran applicant’s matrix score.

    Interview Pools Do Not Need to Include VEP Candidates if There are None Who Meet the Minimum Qualifications of the Job.

    Is a hiring manager required to hire a veteran over a non-veteran candidate?

    If a veteran and a non-veteran are considered equal regarding all hiring-related matters, then it is recommended to hire the veteran.

    For more information on the Veteran’s Preference in Employment, or if you have any questions regarding the statutes, email Lamar University's Human Resources' Veteran’s Employment Liaison at

    For related information, please visit:

    How can I get additional help?

    If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at (409) 880-8375 or via email at

  • Benefits and Insurance

    Please visit the Human Resources Insurance web page for information and resources.

    When is Open Enrollment for benefits?

    Open Enrollment takes place annually, usually during the month of July for a 3 to 4-week period.

    Will I have another opportunity to enroll in benefits after my first 30 days of employment?

    Yes, if you have a Qualifying Life Event or the summer enrollment period.

    What is a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)?

    A change in your situation—like getting married, having a baby, or losing health coverage—can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.

    If I waive insurance coverage, will I receive more compensation?

    No, you do not receive any additional compensation for waiving coverage.

    What is the effective date of my health insurance?

    The first of the month following your 60th day of employment.

    How do I log in to the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) online to make changes to benefits?

    Your benefit elections can be made at Of note, ERS is the state agency responsible for the provision of state employee benefits.

    When can I make changes to my benefits?

    As a new hire within the first 30 days, 30 days within a qualifying life event or during summer enrollment.

    Why do I need to do Tobacco Certification?

    ERS imposes a surcharge if you do not certify as tobacco-free or in a quit program.

    What is Evidence of Insurability (EOI)?

    Evidence of Insurability (EOI) is an application process in which you provide information on the condition of your health or your dependent's health in order to be considered for certain types of insurance coverage.

    Where can I find information about my medical insurance options?

    Links to insurance information can be found on the Human Resources Insurance web page or at

    What is State Service Credit?

    State service credit is earned when you work for a State of Texas agency or a public institution of higher education.

    What can State Service impact?

    State service affects your vacation accruals and eligibility for longevity pay.

    Additional Benefits include:

    • Family Medical Leave
    • Workers’ Compensation
    • Faculty/Staff Course Enrollment
    • Tuition Assistance Program for spouses and children
    • Employee Assistance Program

    What does the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provide?

    The EAP program offers a variety of free services and resources to support employees’ health and wellness and life/work success. These include confidential short-term counseling services, legal and financial resources, and much more.

    To learn more, visit the EAP webpage.

    What are my rights if I have a disability?

    At Lamar University, specific policies exist to ensure all qualified employees with disabilities are afforded equal employment opportunities in compliance with federal and state laws. In addition, the University provides reasonable workplace accommodations for employees with disabilities.

    The University also works to ensure equal opportunity in all its educational programs and activities, and all terms and conditions of employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, religion, national origin, veteran’s status, genetic information, or sex (including pregnancy), except where such a distinction is required by law.

  • Compensation

    Payday Questions

    Who should I contact if I do not receive a paycheck?

    First, check Self-Service Banner to see if a paycheck was issued. If yes, check with your bank to see if the direct deposit has been processed.

    Next, contact the department that you performed the work for to see that all paperwork (PAF, timesheet, etc.) has been completed and submitted. If so, please check with the Payroll office to determine the source of the problem. The Payroll office must run payroll several days in advance of the actual pay date and slow paperwork often means a delay in payment.

    Some common reasons for not receiving a paycheck when one is anticipated are:

    1. Slow arrival of New Hire documents.
    2. Time Sheet not completed or not approved.
    3. Termination date that needs to be updated.

    The phone number for the Payroll Office is (409) 880-8000.

    When is payday?

    The Payroll Department provides paychecks to employees on either Monthly or Bi-Weekly Payroll Dates. Specific pay dates are provided on the Financial Services/Payroll web page.

    How do I get my paycheck stub or a W-2?

    Electronic versions of your Paycheck Stub, 1095C, and W-2 are available under the "Employee" tab in Self-Service Banner via LU Connect. Visit IT Help and Support or contact the Service Desk at ext. 2222, if you do not have login access.

    Steps for getting the pay documents:

    • Go to
    • Click "LU Connect" on the top left corner
    • Choose either "Students" or "Faculty/Staff"
    • Choose "Self Service Banner"
    • Sign in with your user I.D. and pin
    • Choose "Employee" under the Main Menu
    • Pay stub is under the "Pay Information" tab
    • 1095C and W2 are under the "Tax Form" tab

    Important Deadlines

    Personnel Action Form Deadlines?

    Personnel Action Forms (F3.2s) authorize payroll transactions. Payroll checks will not be generated without a properly completed PAF for the individual, despite preparation of time sheets and/or leave reports.

    The PAFs must be received in the Payroll Office by 5 p.m. on the second working day after the end of the pay period to be activated for the next payroll date. PAFs received after this date will be processed in the subsequent payroll period.

    The approximate processing time for a PAF, from departmental origination to entry into the payroll system is 10 days.

    Time Sheet/Leave Report Deadlines?

    Timesheets and/or leave reports received by the indicated due date will be processed for the next applicable payroll period. The due date is 5 p.m. on the second working day after the end of the pay period.

    Timesheets and/or leave reports that are received in the Payroll Office after the due date will be processed for the next payroll period.

    Employee Position Classification

    What is a Position Classification?

    All positions in the classified service are assigned to a class of positions that should reflect accurately and currently the duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and other work requirements of all positions within the class.

    Each class involves substantially the same kind and level of work in terms of complexity and responsibility as well as comparable educational and experience requirements. Titles assigned to each class of positions are descriptive of the nature of the work performed by the positions within that class.

    The official position title is used for all HR-related records; however, for internal purposes, departments may use a functional or working title.

    What is a promotion?

    A promotion occurs when a current employee is selected as the successful candidate for a posted vacancy that is at a higher grade than the employee’s previous position.

    What is a reclassification?

    A classification review is a formal study of the duties and responsibilities that comprise a position, taking into consideration the nature and level of work performed and the specifications required for an incumbent to perform the job completely.

    A reclassification occurs when the job duties and/or required qualifications of a position are re-evaluated and the position is assigned a new classification.

    The change in job duties, essential functions and/or qualifications of the position should be sufficient to warrant a study by HR. A position that is reevaluated may be assigned a new title and be classified at a lower or higher grade and salary range.

    Please refer to Lamar University Human Resources Policies for more information regarding classification changes.

    What are the factors that determine the value of staff positions?

    • Job-related factors such as knowledge (experience), education, required supervision, working conditions, required skills and abilities, and the complexity of tasks performed.
    • Current market supply and demand, inflation factors, pay for similar jobs within the University, and comparative data from other institutions. The pay ranges are sensitive to and take into consideration the prevailing local, state, and national rates of pay which are determined by periodic salary surveys and analysis.
    • Salary levels are also affected by the amount of appropriations received from the Texas legislature. The compensation of all positions will take into consideration available funding.
    • It is the intention of the University to compensate all employees on a fair and equitable basis, and rates of pay will be applied uniformly for all staff positions with similar duties and responsibilities.

    How is a position determined to be ‘exempt’ or ‘non-exempt’?

    The Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) determines whether employees are subject to or exempt from overtime provisions.

    If employees are determined to be serving in a non-exempt position, overtime pay or compensatory time must be provided for working more than 40 hours in a defined workweek (Saturday 12:01 a.m. until Friday 12:00 midnight).

    When non-exempt employees work over 40 hours during their scheduled workweek, they are entitled to time-and-a-half pay or compensatory time calculated at time-and-a-half for all hours actually worked in excess of 40 hours. All overtime for non-exempt employees should be approved in advance by their supervisor.

    Can employees earn State Compensatory Time?

    Yes, employees of institutions of higher education or employees engaged in a public safety activity may be paid for State Compensatory time hours (non-FLSA overtime) on a straight time basis when taking the compensatory time off would be disruptive to normal teaching research, or other critical functions.

    The Lamar University policy on Attendance/Leave provides additional information on overtime and compensatory leave.

    When is a reclassification request necessary?

    A reclassification request is necessary in order to:

    • Establish a new position and job classification title;
    • Abolish an unneeded position title from the pay plan;
    • Revise an outdated classification description; and/or
    • Reclassify an existing position because of significant or substantial changes in duties and/or responsibilities.

    What is the timeline for reclassification requests?

    Reclassifications of existing positions are processed in accordance with the needs of the University on an as-received basis. In order for reclassifications and new positions to be processed, the required approved documentation is submitted to Human Resources:

    • Job Analysis Questionnaire
    • Staff Additions/Changes information
    • New or revised job description

    Reclassification of existing positions is limited to no more than once every two years. With Vice President's approval, exceptions will be considered during complete departmental reorganizations.

    What is a Market Adjustment?

    The value of all jobs is influenced by the going rate in the labor market. In some cases, the market value of a job is the most appropriate measure in establishing the salary. A market adjustment is allowed when necessary to stay competitive in the labor market.

    To make a market adjustment to a staff job, the Dean or Associate Vice President should contact HR for details on the collection of relevant data and how to prepare the proposal. Market adjustments should be presented during the annual budget preparation process in ample time to be included in the next fiscal year's budget. Adjustments must not be retroactive.

  • Immigration

    Information about Employment Visas and Permanent Residency can be located on the Human Resources Policy Manual, Section 4, Employment Practices web page.

    Who should I contact to get an answer to an immigration-related question?

    The Human Resources Office on behalf of Lamar University facilitates the preparation and filing of petitions for temporary employment authorization for non-immigrants. However, the office does not provide legal advice or assist in negotiations of salary, conditions of employment or payment of fees for filing petitions and cannot provide you with case status updates.

    Please contact Terri Jones at for more information about the Visa process for employees.

    Upon contact, a form will be sent to the Chair or Department Head to authorize filing the petition for temporary employment authorization. Once the form is signed by the Dean/Department Head and Vice President and returned to HR, then the case will be referred to board-certified immigration attorneys for processing.

    The HR Department will continue to liaise between the attorneys and the employee throughout the process.

  • Leave Management and Workers Compensation

    Where can I find my leave balances?

    Your Leave Balances can be found on the Employee tab located in Self Service Banner.
    Steps for accessing your leave balances:

    • Go to
    • Click "LU Connect" on the top left corner
    • Choose either "Students" or "Faculty/Staff"
    • Choose "Self Service Banner"
    • Sign in with your user I.D. and pin
    • Choose "Employee" under the Main Menu
    • Leave Balances are under the "Leave Balances" tab

    I was injured on the job. What do I need to do?

    Report the incident to your supervisor as soon as possible. The supervisor on duty at the time of the injury is responsible for investigating the scene, ensuring the injured receive prompt medical attention, and addressing any safety hazards that may have caused or contributed to the injury

    I will miss work because of my work-related injury. What happens next?

    Once your supervisor reports the injury to Human Resources, that office will coordinate your worker’s compensation claim and pay while you’re away from work.

    What is worker’s compensation?

    Worker’s Compensation is insurance that handles claims for work-related injuries. It also provides 66% of your income (with a salary cap) while you are away from work due to a work-related injury.

    I have short-term disability insurance. Do I need to file a claim?

    No, you will not need to file a short-term disability claim. Worker’s compensation will pay for your time away from work due to a work-related injury. You can also use PTO to supplement your worker’s compensation pay.

    Do I need to complete a Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) request if I’m away from work due to a work-related injury?

    Yes, you will need to complete an FMLA request form. See the Family Medical Leave ACT website to review and access FMLA information and to obtain the forms needed to process a leave request.

    Am I still considered an active employee while I’m on worker’s compensation?

    While you are away from work due to a work-related injury or illness, your status will be leave of absence. Once your doctor releases you to return to work, you will return to active status.

    Will my benefits continue while I am away from work?

    Yes, your benefits will continue. Premium payments will continue through payroll deduction as long as you have PTO. If your PTO ends, you will be placed on unpaid leave status, and you will be responsible for making premium payments to Benefit Express via direct billing.

    Once your doctor releases you to return to work, you will resume active status, and your premium payments will recommence through payroll deduction.

    Note that if you are receiving workers' compensation benefits, you may choose to supplement workers' compensation pay with PTO to meet your full salary, but you will not be paid from both workers' compensation and PTO for the same hours.

    I have additional questions about FMLA and Worker’s Compensation. Who do I contact?

    See the Additional Benefits web page with links to information on FMLA and Workers Compensation. An HR representative can be contacted at (409) 880-8375. However, it may be beneficial to write an email inquiry.

  • Staff Training and Development

    Are employees able to participate in training and development opportunities?

    Yes, the Human Resources Department provides a variety of training opportunities. Current workshop offerings can be found on the HR Training and Development web page.

    Are employees required to participate in training activities?

    Yes, all employees are required to participate in Civil Rights Training (Equal Opportunity Training) within 30 days of employment.

    Employees are also required to participate in Title IX/Sexual Harassment training and some employees are required to participate in Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act training. These classes are provided through third-party vendors.

    Employees will be contacted by Human Resources and will be provided links to these training modules.

    Are employees provided the opportunity to attend Lamar University and Lamar Institute of Technology classes?

    Yes, the Employee Education and Training Plan ("the Plan") provides employees of Lamar University with assistance in obtaining additional college-level education and training to increase their value to the University.

    Additionally, a full-time employee’s spouse and/or eligible dependent children are provided with tuition assistance of 100% for resident tuition through the Tuition Assistance Program for Spouses and Dependents (PDF) (LUTAP).

  • Title IX / Sexual Misconduct

    The Texas State University System and Lamar University are committed to creating and maintaining educational communities in which each individual is respected, appreciated and valued. Lamar University diligently strives to foster an environment that permits and encourages everyone to perform at their highest levels in academia. Lamar University’s focus on tolerance, openness, and respect is key in providing every member of our community with basic human dignity free from harassment, exploitation, intimidation or other sexual misconduct.

    How do I submit a Title IX / Sexual Misconduct Complaint?

    An incident report can be completed online through the completion of an Incident Reporting Form. This form allows you to submit an anonymous report

    You may also Report an Incident to any of our Title IX Coordinators, The University Police Department, or make a confidential statement to the Student Health Center.

    Please note: A responsible employee who receives a report of sexual misconduct must report to the Title IX Coordinator all relevant details about the alleged sexual misconduct shared by the victim. A responsible employee should not share information with law enforcement without the victim’s consent, unless the victim has also reported the incident to law enforcement.

    I am an adjunct faculty member. Do I have to participate in Title IX/Sexual Harassment training?

    Yes, all faculty, staff and student workers must complete our compliance training modules. For your convenience, we provide training through online modules provided by

    Initial training for new employees and refresher training are managed by our Human Resources Compliance Officer. Employees will receive emails that provide them with links to the training modules when training needs to be completed.

    Are Graduate Assistants, Research Assistants and Teaching Assistants required to attend this training?

    Yes, all employees are required to take the training.

    I have completed a compliance-related training module - is there anything else I need to do?

    Yes, please print an electronic copy of your training completion certificate and email it to our Human Resources Compliance Officer at