Travel Documents

F-1 International Student Travel

Travel Request Application

Travel Request Additional Instructions and Information (PDF)

Academic Advisor/Depart Chair Approval Letter Template (PDF)

Whenever F-1 students wish to leave the United States temporarily and return to continue studies at the institution in which they are enrolled, they must secure the necessary documents to permit entry to another country and permit re-entry to the United States. 

Students who are going to travel outside of the United States must submit a request to the Office of International Student Programs and Services (OISPS) to obtain a travel endorsement from the Designated School Officer (DSO)SO or Responsible Officer (RO).  The endorsement will be made on page 3 of the SEVIS Form I-20 or page 1 of the DS-2019. 

To submit a request to travel, students and exchange visitors are required to complete and submit the Travel Request Form along with supporting documents.  

When returning to the United States after a temporary absence of 5 months or less, F-1 students and exchange visitors must have the following documents:

  • Valid SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019 with the DSO or RO endorsement showing that the student is active and in good standing with the school or program
  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 visa
Note:  The travel request must be submitted at least 7 to 10 days prior to traveling.

Additional Travel Information

Entry to another Country

Like the United States, other countries have rules and restrictions on who can enter their country, and how. F-1 students who wish to visit their country of citizenship or permanent residence generally will be allowed to enter that country if they hold a valid passport or other travel document issued by that country. For travel into any country other than the home country, students must check with the Embassy of the country they would like to visit to inquire about specific entry procedures.

For additional information, US Department of State provides a link to many foreign embassies in the United States at the following web site:

Invitation Letters for Friends and Family

The Office of International Student Programs and Services provides signed invitation letters for graduating students who wish to invite family from another country/their home country. Apply Now.

*the Invitation Letter for Graduation Form must be completed one time for each consulate office.