On Campus Employment

Use the Menu below to navigate to the webpages that interest you:

 For students seeking simple on-campus employment during their period of study
For students seeking to partake in employment that is integral to their study
For students seeking temporary employment directly related to their academic program
For qualifying STEM degree recipients who wish to extend their OPT allowance
For students seeking information to refine or expand their understanding of employment benefits and responsibilities.  

On Campus Employment

F-1 students are permitted to work part-time on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20, while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status, subject to the restrictions discussed in this section. This type of employment is "incident to status," and does not require DSO authorization or updates to the SEVIS record.

On-Campus Employment for F and J Visa Students

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has limited part-time employment for international students to no more than 20 hours per week during the semesters or when a student is taking classes during the summer term. Allowing an international student to work more than 20 hours per week could have serious implications for the student and the university.

International students may work up to 40 hours per week on campus when classes are not in session (winter and spring break, and summer). International students may incur overtime and should be compensated at time and one-half per hour worked.

NOTE: On-campus employers may interview and offer employment to international students without a Social Security number, but MAY NOT allow the students to begin work before they have completed the required employment eligibility forms through Human Resources and OISPS.

NOTE: If you are a J-1 Student, you must get approval from an OISPS advisor before you begin working. If you are on a J-2 visa, you must apply for an EAD card to work.

Steps to On-Campus Employment for International Students

  1. Search for an on-campus job. To view job openings, go to https://jobs.lamar.edu and search under "Student Positions."

  2. Once you have interviewed and received an offer of employment, your supervisor will complete and sign Section I of the Social Security Employment Verification Form and the Student Job Offer Form. After you sign the Student Job Offer Form, take both completed forms with you.  Even though you have begun the employment process, you may not begin work until all required employment forms are completed and permission has been granted!

  3. Visit the Office of International Student Programs & Services (Wimberly Building, Room 117). The Social Security Employment Verification Form will be completed. You will receive a list of other documents to take to the Social Security Administration Office as well as directions.

    • NOTE: Students must be in ACTIVE status with SEVIS before applying for a SSN, which requires students to have started actively attending classes on campus. OISPS recommends all students to be prepared to not expect immediate employment upon arrival to campus.

  4. Visit the Social Security Administration Office (Suite A, 8455 Dishman Rd, Beaumont, TX 77713) to submit your Social Security Employment Verification Form. All employees are required to have a social security number. The Social Security Administration requires an international student without a social security number to prove he or she has obtained an on-campus position, and show evidence of that employment, or a Social Security number will not be issued.  Be certain to obtain a Verification of Application for a Social Security Number that includes your name from the Social Security Administration.

  5. Make an appointment with the Payroll office to complete Federal, State, and City tax forms. You will need to present the following:

    • Social Security Employment Verification Form (from the hiring department)

    • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form (from OISPS)

    • Verification of Application for a Social Security Number (from Social Security Administration)

  6. When you receive your Social Security card in the mail, YOU ARE REQUIRED to present your card to the following offices within 90 days:

    • Registrar’s Office (Wimberly Building)- to update your Lamar Student Record with your social security number

    • LU Human Resources - to update your Lamar International Student Record with your social security number. Note: Failure to do so will result in termination of employment.

Rules and Regulations

  • The F-1 visa normally limits the number of hours international students may work to twenty (20) hours per week on campus during academic sessions. During the summer or other vacation periods, international students may work up to forty (40) hours per week. In order to work on campus at this University, the student must be enrolled at the University. Lamar University allows 19.5 hours per week all year round.
  • On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the school library, cafeteria, and administrative offices. 
  • Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA while undergraduate students are required to maintain at least a 2.0 GPA. Students that fall below the 3.0/2.0 scale will not be permitted to continue their employment.
  • Although federal regulations do not require DSO approval for on-campus employment, the Social Security Administration requires a letter from the DSO when a student applies for a social security number on the basis of on-campus employment.  See Social Security for details.
  • Spouses or children with F-2 visas may NOT be employed by the University.

F-1 On-Campus Employment Characteristics

Preconditions Eligible immediately upon obtaining Active F-1 status; no waiting period
Location Must be considered "on-campus"
Duration Can be used throughout period student is pursuing a full course of study
Hours per week Limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks. Lamar university allows 19.5 hours per week all year round.
Field / level of work Can be in any on-campus position that does not displace a U.S. worker; does not have to be related to course of study
Offer of Employment Not required as a condition of eligibility
Effect on Other Work on Campus All on-campus work is treated the same for the 20 hour per week limit; e.g., a teaching assistant working 15 hours per week can only work 5 additional hours per week in another on-campus job
Approval Process Employment is "incident to status," and does not require DSO or DHS approval. See “Social Security”, for information regarding Social Security requirements
Miscellaneous Employment must not displace a U.S. resident