Academic Related

Change of Majors

Students that may want to change majors should complete the change of major form and submit it to the International Student Services Office for approval.

Note: All sections must be completed and returned to the Graduate & International Admissions Office before:
  1. The change of major can be entered into Banner;
  2. An official acceptance letter issued;  
  3. A SEVIS Form I-20 must be issued indicating the change of major (for international students only).

Graduate: Change of Major Form (PDF)

Undergraduate: Change of Major Form (PDF) 

Reduced Course Load Form

Application Form for Reduced Course Load

F-1 international students and J-1 exchange students are required to enroll full time during the fall and spring semester to maintain their status while in the US. Students who wish to enroll less than full time must first receive approval from the DSO or RO by completing the Reduced Course Load Form and submitting it to the Office of International Student Programs and Services (OISPS).

If the student qualifies for a reduction to his/her course load, the DSO/RO will update the SEVIS record and issue a revised SEVIS I-20.   If the student drop below full-time enrollment prior to receiving authorization, he/she will be considered out-of-status and the DSO /RO is required to update the SEVIS record to indicate the violation.

Definition of Full-Time Enrollment
Full-time enrollment for the graduate student is 9 hours while undergraduate students are required to enroll in a total of 12 hours for full-time enrollment.

Exceptions to the full-course of study requirements
Federal regulations limit the reasons for which an RCL can be granted to 7 choices. The student must qualify for one of the reasons listed to receive the RCL approval.

  • Illness or Medical Condition
  • Initial Difficulty with the English Language
  • Initial Difficulty with Reading Requirements
  • Unfamiliarity with American Teaching Methods
  • Improper Course Level Placement
  • To Complete Course of Study in Current Term
  • Part-Time Border Commuter Student

Program Level Changes

Students requesting a program level change should either submit the change of major form and/or apply to the specific academic program and be admitted by Lamar University. If you need assitance in determining your best course of action, please contact our office.

Upon approval, a valid financial statement and affidavit of support will be required for submission to the International Student Services Office prior to updating the SEVIS record.

Health Insurance

All International students are required to have health insurance for the duration of their stay in the United States.  Lamar University requires international students to purchase the university student plan.  Our goal is to guarantee adequate health insurance coverage for students and their dependents inside the US. 

All registered International students taking one (1) or more credit hours are required to participate in the insurance plan on a mandatory basis.  The health insurance fee will be added to the student account and must be paid along with tuition and fees for the fall and spring semester.

Exception to this policy:

  • Students employed as Graduate/Research/Teaching Assistant and elect to be covered by the State Health Insurance benefits plan.  Students are not permitted to register for any semester without proof of health insurance coverage.

  • Recipients of a scholarship from the Government of Saudi Arabia that include health coverage.  Health insurance requirement will be waived for the length of the scholarship. Once the scholarship expires, students are required to submit an updated financial guarantee indicating a new expiration date or purchase the health insurance with LU’s health insurance program.

Health Insurance Dependent Agreement: F-2 dependents will no longer be required to purchase health insurance coverage with Lamar University’s (LU) current health insurance provider, Academic Health Plans (AHP). For more information, click on the form below

Health Insurance Dependent Agreement Form

Please refer to the following link: 

In addition, dependents are not eligible to receive medical services from the Lamar University Student Health Center.

Program Extension for F-1/J-1

An F-1/J-1 student who is admitted for duration of status is not required to apply for an extension of stays as long as the student is maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective. An F-1/J-1 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20/DS-2019, must apply for a program extension pursuant to paragraph (f) (7) (iii) of this section.

An F-1/J-1 student who is unable to meet the program completion date on the Form I-20/DS-2019 may be granted an extension by the Designated School Official (DSO) if the DSO certifies that the student has continually maintained status and that the delay are caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illness. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions.

NOTE: A DSO may not grant an extension if the student did not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20/DS-2019. An F-1/J-1 student who is unable to complete the educational program within the time listed on Form I-20 or DS-2019 and who is ineligible for program extension pursuant to this paragraph (f) (7) is considered out of status. If eligible, the student may apply for reinstatement under the provisions of paragraph (f) (16) of this section.

FINAL RULE: The final rule eliminates the prior rule’s “30-day” period of favor of an open period for requesting program extensions, provided that the request for extension is made and granted prior to the program end date on Form I-20/DS-2019. The final rule specifies that a student must apply for a program extension before the end date on Form I-20/DS-2019.


  • Program Extension Biographical Application
  • Current Form I-20/DS-2019
  • Passport
  • I-94 Arrival/ Departure Card
  • Financial Statement – must be an original currently dated document showing US dollars
    • Graduate:                   $27,952.00
    • Undergraduate:     $30,661.00
  • Written documentation on letterhead from your academic advisor (or department chair) which verifies the reasons for the delay, details scholarships and/or waivers received (amount/value needed), and includes a new date for completion of studies


  • NOTE: If your dependents are with you in the US, an additional $6,526.00 for the spouse and $5,136.00 for each child is required in addition to the above amounts. All the above tuition fees are subjected to change. For more information, visit Tuition and Fees.