Frequently Asked Questions


How does DegreeWorks work?

The DegreeWorks audit "reads" all courses completed or accepted as transfer, AP or CLEP credit at  Lamar University and shows how those courses have been applied toward your chosen degree, major, and minor, according to the catalog requirements for the year in which you entered  or declared a new major or minor. The report can be viewed online or printed out to be used as a snapshot of where you stand relative to graduation requirements.

What are the benefits of using DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks will help you:  

    • Determine which requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
    • View individual course grades, the grade point average (GPA), and major grade point average.
    • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
    • View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
    • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, or concentration using the What If option.
    • Confirm your academic standing.
    • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
    • View the prerequisites and core-requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers with asterisks.  For example, ENGL 1102*.

Who can use DegreeWorks?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all undergraduate students who are on curriculums dated fall 2010 or later and to their advisors. Students and advisors will be able to use the system as an advising tool to better follow the student's progress and determine which requirements are still needed.

Some graduate students are also able to use DegreeWorks, by spring 2017 all Lamar University degree plans should be accessible.

Is my information in DegreeWorks confidential?

Yes. DegreeWorks is accessible through your secure login.  Remember that your advisor, faculty, and authorized staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Do I still need to see an advisor?

YES! Absolutely - DegreeWorks does not take the place of your advisor.  You should always review your DegreeWorks audit prior to meeting with an advisor, preparing any questions you may have regarding your requirements. Your academic advisor will use the DegreeWorks report in the process of advising you about your program.

What is a degree audit?

A DegreeWorks degree audit (DegreeAudit) is a worksheet showing application of past, current, and planned coursework toward the requirements of your declared degree and major. Outstanding courses and requirements will be indicated on the degree audit worksheet also.

Is my DegreeWorks degree audit the same as my academic transcript?

No. The DegreeWorks degree audit is an unofficial advisement tool. It is not an Academic Transcript. It is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program.

Your transcript is your official university record and provides a chronological list of completed courses and other academic information. Your official transcript must be requested online or from the Record’s Office.

How is my degree audit different from my transcript?

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress.  It displays courses required and completed in your degree programs.  Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

When should I look at my degree audit?

Four times a semester. You should always review your audit:

    • Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
    • After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements as you thought they would.
    • After your grades for each semester are posted.
    • Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.

What do I do if I believe that DegreeWorks is not applying a course(s) correctly to my degree program?

Your academic advisor is your first point of contact with questions about your audit. An advisor can answer questions you may have, advise you about course substitutions and waivers that may be needed, and submit the necessary adjustments to the Record’s Office.

DegreeWorks uses the “best fit” approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. 

How does DegreeWorks decide where to place courses that I’ve completed?

DegreeWorks looks at your program holistically and places each course using a “best fit” scenario.  The “best fit” process will not always be perfect, particularly when multiple possibilities exist.  Classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses.  If you have a course that does not appear in the expected area, please contact your advisor for assistance.

Where can I find my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

Your GPA is calculated on courses taken through Lamar University only and is used to determine your academic standing.  This GPA is found at the top of your degree audit worksheet.

Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear on the right side of the header of the major block.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. Registration will continue to be accessed through Self-Service Banner during scheduled registration dates and time tickets.

Can I change my major, minor, or concentration through DegreeWorks?


No. Contact your academic advisor on how to make changes.

My major, minor, or concentration is missing from my audit - how do I fix this?

If you have not officially declared your major, minor, or concentration, contact your academic advisor.

My advisor gave me permission to substitute a course, but it’s not showing on my audit. Why not?

Talk with your advisor.  Advisors initiate the substitution process, but there are multiple steps before the request is processed. If it is a General Core exception then it is processed by the Record’s Office. The change usually appears within 24-48 hours after the Record’s Office has been notified. Once entered it will appear on the audit. If a course is being substituted in the major, minor, or concentration fields the Major Department will work with your advisor to complete the exception.

How current is my information in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed nightly. Any changes made will be seen in DegreeWorks the next day.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have been posted at the end of the semester or term, they are viewable in DegreeWorks.

Can I see a list of all of the classes taken?

Yes. On the Worksheets tab at the top above your student information, click on the "Class History" link at the top for a list of courses taken at Lamar University, as well as transfer courses.

Does DegreeWorks include my AP and CLEP credit?

Yes. Once official AP and/or CLEP scores are received by the Transcript Evaluators and credit is granted, the appropriate courses are posted to the student's record and will appear on the DegreeWorks audit. 

Does DegreeWorks include my transfer work?

Yes. Once official transcripts from all of the student’s prior institutions are received by the Transcript Evaluators and credit is granted, the appropriate courses are posted to the student's record and will appear on the DegreeWorks audit.  Any transfer work articulated by the Nursing Department will also appear.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Check your DegreeWorks audit worksheet.  Your audit worksheet will indicate courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within specified blocks. You should use this information to discuss your academic plan with your academic advisor.

I'm a double major. Only one appears on the audit. How can I check the requirements for my other major?

If only one major is appearing on your DegreeWorks audit (worksheet), then you need to go to the office of the department of your second major to have your second major officially declared.  The day after the second major is added to your academic record, you will be able to view both majors on the same audit.

The same is true for minors and concentrations.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Yes. Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient Block located at the bottom of your audit and will be indicated with a "W" grade.

What is the Additional Courses block?

This block contains courses that do not match any of the requirements in the other blocks.

What is the Insufficient block?

It is a list of courses that do not meet academic requirements.

What is the In-Progress block?

These are courses that you are registered for but have not yet received grades.  They could be courses in the past, present or future. 

I see a note on my degree audit. What is this for?

Faculty and staff advisors or the Record's office use this field to document academic advising on a student's record. Notes, are also used to advise the Record's department of actions that are needed when a student is in the process of graduating.

I repeated a course. How does it appear on my degree audit (worksheet)?

If you repeat a course, your best attempt counts toward degree requirements.  This will be the attempt that appears on your worksheet.  After your second attempt is complete and the grade is recorded, the first attempt will be placed in the “Insufficient” category at the bottom of your worksheet.  The courses in this area cannot be used to fulfill requirements.

I have seen the @ symbol in several places on my worksheet. What does this mean?

This is a "wild card" in DegreeWorks.  If the @ sign appears after a subject prefix (i.e., MATH @), it means you can take any math course.  If the @ sign has a number before it, such as MATH 2@, you can take any 2000-level math course.  If you see "@ @", that means any course subject at any level can be taken.  This would be true for courses used to meet a Free Elective requirement.

What are "What If" Scenarios?

This is a fun and interesting tool. "What If" Scenarios allow you to process speculative degree audits using your current class history. You can compare your information against the requirements for a different major, minor, concentration and catalog year. The possibilities are endless.

I want to change my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?
You can use the "What If" option on the Worksheet tab to do an audit using criteria you select. Please be sure to select the Level, Degree, Academic Year, and Major along with any corresponding Minors or Concentrations. The selected major will be moved to the “Chosen Area of Study” window on the right. To deselect the major from that window, highlight it by clicking on it and then click the REMOVE button located below the window. Once the major is selected, click on the PROCESS WHAT-IF button to generate "What If" audit.
"What If" audits do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select.
Should you decide you'd like to change your major, minor, or concentration, contact the administrative assistant in the office of your current major for assistance, new academic information, and instructions on making the change. 
Why am I receiving an error when I run a "What If" scenario?
The "What If" tool requires that you make a selection in the each field.  Failure to make a selection will result in an error.
Can my advisor see my "What If" scenario?
No. "What If" scenarios are not stored in DegreeWorks? Your advisor can see your results only if the two of you work through a "What If" procedure together. You can also print a copy to show your advisor.

Can I print a degree audit?

Yes, there are two ways to print a degree audit: 1) click the "Print" button located in the bar at the top of the page or: 2) choose the Degree Audit option in the Format Field drop down menu and select the Save as PDF button, then open and print the PDF version of the audit.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

While we have tried to make sure that your audit is correct, it is difficult to predict every unique situation or problem. We want to work with you to correct any issues as soon as possible. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong and to contact your advisor. 

Your advisor will determine if the Record's Department will need to assist further.

If you are having a problem viewing your degree audit please email us at