Artist David Cargill
Image Source: theexaminer.com

(b. 1929) David Cargill is a Beaumont sculptor who works in wood, marble, stone, terra cotta, lead and bronze. Cargill is known for portraits and other figurative work.

David Cargill moved with his family to Beaumont in 1935. The artist first enrolled at Rice University from 1946 - 1948 where he studied pre-med. By the fall of 1948, he had changed career paths and began studying industrial design at Pratt Institute in New York where he met his wife Patricia Cargill. The Cargills were married in 1950, and in 1951 returned to Beaumont where Cargill received his first commissions for portrait busts and murals. The artist received his Master of Fine Arts in sculpture from Cranbrook Academy of Art in 1955 and soon thereafter embarked on travels to Europe. In 1962 he returned to Europe to cast commissions in Italy.

He was commissioned to create numerous pieces in the Beaumont area, including the AMSET bronze sculpture, "Men of Vision" of the four Rogers Brothers, founders of TSO and local supporters of the arts.

Cargill received an AIA award for Stations of the Cross sculptures commissioned for St. Basil's at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. Cargill's work is included in the permanent collection of the Art Museum of Southeast Texas.


ART ON CAMPUS

David Cargill - Mirabeau B. Lamar Statue