Library News

Dr. Andrew Johnson, 1933-2019

We are saddened to report the death of Dr. Andrew (Jay) Johnson, who was Director of the Mary and John Gray Library from 1967-1969.

Dr. Andrew Johnson Dr. Johnson was born in Beaumont, Texas on September 27, 1933. He began his career at Lamar University as an instructor of history in 1958, serving as Assistant Professor of History (1960-1965) and Associate Professor (1965-1968). In 1965, he was granted a year’s leave of absence, and with a postdoctoral fellowship and scholarship from the Texas Library Association, he earned his Master’s degree in Library Science from the University of Chicago in 1966.

From 1967-1969, he served as Director of the library at Lamar, where he led several major initiatives, including the automation of library circulation, move of librarians to academic rank, and the start of the reclassification of the library collection from Dewey to the Library of Congress Classification System.

After serving as library director, Dr. Johnson became Vice President for Academic Affairs, and served in four other vice presidential roles through 1984. From November 1984 through January 1985, he served as Interim President of Lamar. He also served as Assistant to the Chancellor from 1988-1991 and as Interim President of Lamar Orange. He then returned to the faculty, teaching history from 1991-1995. He retired in 1995.

Lamar president, Frank A. Thomas said of Dr. Johnson when he was named to his first vice presidency “Dr. Johnson’s executive abilities have been amply demonstrated in his excellent management of the Lamar Tech library…”

Dr. Johnson was editor of the Texas Gulf Historical and Biographical Record from 1965-1968 and was a member of the Rotary Club of Beaumont for nearly 51 years.
He was married to Betty Holmes and was the father of two children, Laura and Letitia.

Contributions in memory of Dr. Johnson may be made to the Mary and John Gray Library at the Lamar University Online Giving site.

or by check at:

Lamar University Foundation
PO Box 11500
Beaumont, TX 77710