Visa Information (F-1 and J-1)

F-1 Visa Status

Most students enter the United States in F-1 student status to be enrolled in a full-time degree program. A Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 student visa) will be issued to students by Lamar University after they have been granted admission. Dependents of an F-1 visa holder are classified as F-2, and are not permitted employment in the U.S. Please note that in order for us to include dependent(s) information on the I-20 form, the student must inform the International Student Services Office at the time of application.

F-1 Academic Students enter the United States to pursue a full course of study at one of the following types of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approved academic institutions in the U.S.:

  • Established college or university
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Academic high school (or, for F-3 students, elementary school)
  • Language Training Program

It is the students’responsibility to familiarize themselves with the guidelines and regulations associated with maintaining visa status. For more information Click here.

J-1 Visa Status

 Some students enter the U.S. in J-1 student status. The J-1 visa is administered by the Department of State and is used for a variety of educational purposes. The Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for a J-1 visa) may be issued to a student with a scholarship, either from a sponsoring organization or from Lamar University. Dependents of a J-1 visa holder are classified as J-2 and may apply for permission to work in the U.S. Please notify the ISSO of dependents at the time of application.

Note: To apply for the social security card, J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitors are required to provide an official letter from their program sponsor and the Responsible Office (RO /ARO) in the International Student Service Office.  The letters should be on school letterhead with an original signature that authorizes your employment.

J-1 (Application A)

Certificate of Eligibility Request Form