International Student Employment

On Campus Employment for F and J Visa Students

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has limited part-time employment for international students to no more than 20 hours per week during the semesters or when a student is taking classes during the summer term.  Allowing an international student to work more than 20 hours per week could have serious implications for the student and the university.

International students may work up to 28 hours per week on campus when classes are not in session (winter and spring break, and summer). International students may incur overtime and should be compensated at time and one-half per hour worked.

NOTE: On-campus employers may interview and offer employment to international students without a Social Security number, but MAY NOT allow the students to begin work before they have completed the required employment eligibility forms through Human Resources and OISPS.

NOTE: If you are a J-1 Student, you must get approval from an OISPS advisor before you begin working. If you are on a J-2 visa, you must apply for an EAD card in order to work.

Steps to On-Campus Employment for International Students

All employees are required to have a social security number. The Social Security Administration requires an international student without a social security number to prove he or she has obtained an on-campus position, and show evidence of that employment, or a Social Security number will not be issued.

Step One

Search for an on-campus job. To view job openings, go to the Student Employment at the SSC:

 Step Two

Once you have interviewed and received an offer of employment, your supervisor will complete and sign Section I of the Social Security Employment Verification Form and the Student Job Offer Form. After you sign the Student Job Offer Form, you will take both of the completed forms with you.

Even though you have begun the employment process, you may not begin work until all required employment forms are completed and permission has been granted!

Step Three

Visit the Office of International Student Programs & Services (Wimberly Building). The Social Security Employment Verification Form will be completed. You will receive a list of other documents to take to the Social Security Administration Office as well as directions.

Step Four

Visit the Social Security Administration Office (8455 Dishman Rd A, Beaumont, TX 77713) to submit your Social Security Employment Verification Form. Be certain to obtain a Verification of Application for a Social Security Number that includes your name from the Social Security Administration.

Step Five

Make an appointment with the Payroll to complete Federal, State, and City tax form.

You will need to present the following:

  • Social Security Employment Verification Form (from the hiring department)
  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form (from OISPS)
  • Verification of Application for a Social Security Number (from Social Security Administration)
Step Six

When you receive your Social Security card in the mail, YOU ARE REQUIRED to present your card to the following offices within 90 days:

  • Registrar’s Office (Wimberly Building)- to update your Lamar Student Record with your social security number
  • Payroll Office (HR)- to update your Lamar International Student Record with your social security number

NoteFailure to do so will result in termination of employment.

See below for additional information: