Other Resources


Eligible students are responsible for applying for the waiver or exemption, and ensuring the waiver or exemption has been applied towards their tuition and fees for the current semester. Students are responsible for payment of tuition and fees not covered under the waiver or exemption.  Students are encouraged to submit all documentation three weeks prior to the payment deadline for the applicable term to ensure enough time for the waiver or exemption to be applied.


The deadline to apply for most waivers or exemptions is the census date, which is typically the 12th class day for a Fall or Spring semester and the 4th class day for a Summer semester.  For students enrolled in modules,the census date is typically the the 4th class day.  Please review the academic calendar, located under quick links on the home page of www.lamar.edu, for these specific dates.


For more information about tuition exemptions for Texas residents and waivers of tuition and/or fees for non Texas residents, please visit www.collegeforalltexans.com.  Unless specifically otherwise stated, students receiving any exemption/waiver must meet all standard requirements for eligibility including Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards and may not be in default on a student loan. 


Mail, email, or fax exemption/waiver documents to the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.

Mail: P.O. BOX 10042, Beaumont, TX 77710
Fax: 409-880-8934
Email: financialaid@lamar.edu

Peace Officer Exemption

Exemption for Peace Officers Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses covers tuition and lab fees for eligible courses. Courses not directly related to law enforcement or criminal justice are not eligible for reimbursement though they may be required for degree completion. Additional information is available at www.collegeforalltexans.com.

Students requesting the Peace Officer Exemption are required to submit the following information to our office:
  • Selective Service Form (one time only)
  • Proof of Selective Service Registration (one time only)
    • This can be a letter printed from sss.gov or copy of registration card
  • Peace Officer Exemption Form (every semester)
  • Verification of Employment Letter (every semester)
    • Letter is to be composed by a supervisor/HR.
    • Must be typed on department's letterhead.
    • Must include student's name, and that they are currently employed as a peace officer.
    • Must be signed (by supervisor/HR) and dated with current date.

Veterans Benefits Program

The Veterans Affairs office at Lamar University is separate from the Financial Aid Office and we encourage students with questions about the Hazlewood Act or any other VA benefit to contact the VA office directly. The Veterans Affairs Office is maintained is Room 101 of the Wimberly Building to aid veterans in obtaining their educational benefits. More information including benefit programs and contact information can be found at https://www.lamar.edu/veterans-affairs/ .

Certifications of Cost of Attendance

Sometimes, certain programs or scholarships will require that your attendance and budget be certified by the school. An example of some of these programs may be AmeriCorps funds or the Gates Millenium Scholarship funds. We will not certify your cost of attendance or resources until after the 12th day of class (commonly known as the date of record). This is for your benefit--so that there are no adjustments that have to be made while your enrollment could change. Adjustments could leave you with a balance and the best way to avoid this is to certify AFTER the date of record. Cost of attendance figures for scholarships are based on a the standard Cost of Attendance financial aid budgets administered to all students. We do not offer custom budgets based on actual costs incurred as our budgets are generous and ample to support the needs of our students. If we are submitting the budget on your behalf, we reserve the right to verify the accuracy of your budget plan. The plans are based on housing in the dorms, with parents, or off-campus. If you are in the dorms, will can verify based on your University bill. If off-campus, you must provide the lease agreement to your independent housing. Lastly, if with parents, a signed statement from the parent that you live with will suffice. We will gladly complete and forward to any agency that you authorize the details of your aid package so that you may receive funding. If you have any questions, please see our office.