FAQs About Summer Financial Aid

How do I apply for summer financial aid?

There is no separate application for Summer financial aid, simply complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA or TASFA application and enroll in summer classes for your account to be reviewed for an award.

 

 

How do I reinstate previously offered loans that I declined?

If you were previously awarded a summer loan which you declined all or a portion of, you may submit the Additional Loan Request form to have these funds reinstated.  Once the completed form is received, eligibility for the funds will be reviewed and if eligible loans will be reinstated.

How can I estimate my summer loan eligibility?

Subtract the amount of loans you accepted during the 2019-20 academic year from the maximum annual borrowing limit for your grade level.  Reference the chart below.

Annual Loan Limits
Academic Grade Level Dependent  Independent
Freshman $5,500 $9,500
Sophomore $6,500 $10,500
Junior/Senior $9,500 $12,500
Graduate/Professional $20,500

 

 

Can I receive work-study during the Summer?

Students who received work-study in the Spring may apply for work-study in the Summer.  Simply fill out the Work-Study Request form and submit to the Financial Aid Office.

Am I eligible to receive pell in the Summer?

If you received full-time pell for the Fall and Spring semesters, you may be eligible to receive an additional pell award for Summer.  To be eligible for the additional Pell Grant funds, you must meet all pell eligibility requirements and enroll in at least six credit hours for summer.

Scenario 1: Rebecca was enrolled in 12 credit hours (full-time), in both the fall and spring semesters, she received $6195 in pell.  She enrolls in three credit hours for summer (less than half-time).  Rebecca is not eligible for additional pell in summer. 

Scenario 2: Rebecca was enrolled in 12 credit hours (full-time), in both the fall and spring semesters, she received $6195 in pell.  She enrolls in six credit hours for summer (half-time).  Rebecca is eligible for additional pell for summer.

If you did not receive 100% of pell grant funds in the previous terms, you may be eligible for pell even if enrolled in less than six credit hours.

Scenario 3: Rebecca was enrolled in 12 credit hours (full-time) in the fall, but only 9 credit hours (three-quarter time) in spring.  She received a total of $5420 of pell grant for the 2019-20 aid year.  She enrolls in three credit hours for summer (less than half-time).  Rebecca is eligible for additional pell in summer even though she is only enrolled in three credit hours. This is because she only received 75% of pell in the previous terms, leaving her with 25% remaining.  

 

The three scenarios above are based on a student with a "0" Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).  Pell award amounts differ based on the EFC.

How will I know if my account has been reviewed for awarding?

Once your account is reviewed, if you are eligible for aid, you will receive an email notification informing you that your award for the 2019-20 aid year has been adjusted.  The instructions in the email, prompt you to login to self-service banner and view your award.  

If you are not eligible for aid, a counselor will send an email to your LU email account with this information.