Missy Barnes

Missy Barnes, Customer Service Rep - Undergraduate Advising Center

She’s someone who takes her own advice. She’s the first to admit it, she has all the answers. When it comes to LU, she’s on the frontline.

Her past experiences and natural skills make Mishalette Barnes the ideal customer service representative for Lamar University’s Undergraduate Advising Center. Mishalette began her career at LU in the Office of Admissions & Recruitment, but she has been the face and voice of the UAC for the past year and a half.

At her post at the front desk of the UAC, Mishalette fields questions over the phone and in person about admissions, academic advising, enrollment, dropping and adding classes and general questions about the campus.

“I love working for the university; it just fits my character,” said Mishalette. “I enjoy speaking to students and parents and love giving information and direction, and I enjoy talking to students who have stopped going to college. I always encourage them to come back.”

Mishalette started her college career at LU, transferred to LIT and earned an associate’s degree in respiratory care. She worked for seven years in this field and then decided there was more she had to “give and gain.”

“I always encourage someone who has stopped going to school, or maybe only completed their associate’s degree, to come back,” said Mishalette. “I’m a good persuader, so I tell people to pursue life beyond their means and look further ahead where they could possibly be.”

And she’s following her own advice. Mishalette is currently enrolled in the Applied Arts and Sciences Program. Her long-term goal is to continue working in higher education possibly moving up in undergraduate advising.

“I just feel that I’m energetic all the time and want the best for everyone,” said Mishalette. “Lamar University has a lot to offer. So, if I can paint the picture and get you to see it the way I see it – that’s a good skill – but it helps you pursue your dreams. Before you know it, you’re taking what you’ve gained from LU and pursuing the world.”

There’s proof in Mishalette’s energetic charisma. She’s helped many students move beyond their fear of attending college, to enrolling, succeeding and graduating. She gets to know not only the students she “mentors” but also the parents. She recalls one mom and senior in high school coming in for a visit. The mom was determined to enroll her daughter; the daughter was petrified.

“She was scared of a big campus,” said Mishalette. “I said, ‘what you must do is not look at the campus so much, because you make the campus. When you get involved in different organizations and you form your groups, the world becomes your world; it fits around you.’ Of course, I gave her my story, and told her that sometimes you just have to sit back and think where could I go.”

Mishalette still keeps in touch with that student, who’s now enrolled and successful.

“I talk to her frequently, and I appreciate that,” said Mishalette. “When I tell my personal story and share the knowledge I have of LU, it brings the students in.”

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.