Kevin McGee: LU's Man of Action

Kevin McGee

Ever since he was five years old and gifted a digital camera, Kevin McGee has loved making videos, so when he had the opportunity to work making videos at LU, he let the camera roll.

Kevin graduated from Lamar University in 2016 but began working in his current role as the video coordinator for the Office of Marketing Communications two years prior. While still completing his degree in communication, with emphasis in broadcasting and filmmaking, Kevin was hired to tell the story of LU in a positive light through video.

“I made over a thousand videos by the time I was in junior high. Storytelling always intrigued me, and I thought I wanted to be someone who worked directly with news,” said Kevin. “But here, I’m able to tell LU’s story with the agenda of recruiting people and retaining people.”

One of Kevin’s favorite projects, that almost didn’t happen, was filmed shortly after he started working at LU. One of Kevin’s friends, an engineering student, mentioned that a group of engineers was testing a walking on water project. Only a few months into the job, Kevin wasn’t sure if he should go and take video of the experiment or wait for someone to assign him the task. He ultimately decided to let his supervisor, Daniel McLemore, know about the project.

“It was the most viral video ever made at LU. We had several million viewers within the first few months. I thought after that, maybe I should pitch ideas to people I work for.”

Since that first big success, Kevin has completed hundreds of videos for LU, 500 in fact. He loves videos when he gets to interact with Big Red, go to sporting events and represent the University across the country at varying events that LU is involved in, like the football playoffs a few years ago in Iowa.

“It’s just a great university, and I love working here. I love the Cardinals, being a part of the community, even when it’s outside of the 8 to 5 working hours. I just love being here and involved.”

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.