LU's Peaceful, Fast Custodian: Robin Woodard

Robin Woodard

During the work week, Robin Woodard, a Port Arthur native, methodically and quietly moves through the corridors and rooms of the Reaud Administration Building cleaning. On the weekends, LU’s meticulous custodian cruises Texas roadways on her fast, loud, gray and black motorcycle, she calls ‘Mister’.

She describes her penchant for cleaning as a natural inclination. “I enjoy cleaning and I always have,” said Robin. “I’ve always been a little OCD.”

Her love for “life-in-the-fast lane,” literally, seems to have been born from a mid-life desire to “let her hair down,” or let it fly in the wind.

“I turned 50, the kids are grown and gone and so I ride a motorcycle,” said Robin. “Most of the time I ride in Port Arthur with either my cousin or my friend or we go to Louisiana or Galveston, and we go to rallies.”

But why be limited to only one speedy mode of transportation? Robin has two. Every day she travels to and from her list of work to-dos – vacuuming, dusting, mopping, disinfecting and emptying trash – in a Challenger RT. It’s also gray and black and also has a name.

“Her name’s ‘mercy,’ because my mom was always saying, ‘Lord, have mercy on us,’” said Robin. “I think I inherited my peace from my mom, too.”

Robin’s peace is felt in her gentle manner and her diligence cleaning not just the Reaud Administration Building but also LU President Ken Evans’ home. Her efforts have intensified during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Normally I have my routine, but it’s more intense now with the virus,” said Robin. “I actually wipe off everything several times a day –door handles, computer keys, refrigerators, elevators – anything that’s touchable.”

As must as she enjoys cleaning, Robin is just two classes – anatomy and math – away from earning her bachelor’s degree. She hopes in the second half of her life to become a social worker. For eight years, she was the residential supervisor for Spindletop Center working with persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities and would like to return to that kind of work after earning a degree.

“I enjoy working with the individuals; everyone is unique in their own way,” said Robin. “Some were non-verbal, but they could still communicate with you. Some of them were easier to work with than the staff there,” Robin laughs.

Cleaning is a passion, which makes Robin’s work enjoyable, but she also really enjoys the people she’s met working in the Reaud Administration Building.

“I didn’t know that everyone was in a different department – marketing, communication, administration - but everyone is very knowledgeable about their jobs and super friendly. They all call me Ms. Robin.

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.