Connect with Cardinals: Aziz Shaaban

Hometown:
I was born in Syria and lived there for 12 years until moving to the U.S. in 2011. Since moving, I have lived in
Nederland.

Major:
Biology

Why LU:
I chose Lamar University for its great and super accessible faculty, especially in the department of Biology, for all the opportunities that Lamar offers that I knew I would not find anywhere else and for its closeness to home.

What’s next:
I have an offer of acceptance at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Internships:
I have done two summer internships. The first was at Baylor College of Medicine and the second at Texas Tech Health Science Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso.

Why medicine:
My interest in medicine came at a young age when I used to observe my father's work in the field as a physician. This was where I fell in love with the relationship between a patient and his or her physician. I further nurtured my interest in the field with a lot of volunteering and shadowing experience.

Plans to specialize:
I am going to medical school with an open mind on specialties, but I do like the field of ear, nose and throat or Otorhinolaryngology.

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.