After Homelessness | Hope and Place

Quinton Haynes and Elie Glover smiling at camera

A little over a year ago, freshmen Quinton Haynes and Elie Germain did not think they would be attending college. Now, having overcome homelessness and poverty, the two are part of the diverse tapestry that makes up the Lamar University student body. While challenges are not completely over as the two adjust to college life and orient their lives toward continuing success, the work ethic of these two students reminds us what it is to be a Cardinal, and why We Are LU.

“I'm really enjoying my time at LU and how friendly people are. I already have my own little friend group,” said Haynes, “My junior year [of high school] I had a 3.1 GPA, so I was steadily rising up, but my family became homeless, and for six months I was not in school. So I was going from hotel to hotel; it was rough having to worry about where you're gonna lay your head or what you are going to eat—if you could even eat that day.”

Although Haynes had landed in a precarious position, he began to attend a new school and continue his education. It was there that he encountered Chauncy Glover, the founder of the Chauncy Glover Project, at a speaking engagement Glover gave at the school. It was not long before Haynes was accepted to the program.

The Houston-based program aims to help young, underprivileged African-American and Hispanic men prepare for higher education and meet their goals. Founded after Houston ABC 13 News anchor Chauncy Glover witnessed a young man die on the streets of Detroit, the program has helped send more than 100 young men to universities across the nation. Glover’s project boasts “an extensive, hands-on mentoring program, created to groom inner-city teenage boys into upstanding and accomplished gentlemen” by focusing on education, self-empowerment, financial responsibility, etiquette, college readiness and more. It prioritizes students who Glover believes show potential in pursuing their education but are in need of an extra push, be it financial or motivational, to get into a university.

Germain, another graduate of the Chauncy Glover project, is pursuing a degree in civil engineering, with his long-term goals including graduating and getting a job at an engineering firm. Until then, he enjoys working at the campus bookstore and participating in basketball intramurals. Outside of class, he has already joined organizations, including the Society of Black Engineers.

As for Haynes, he spends most of his time also getting involved and hitting the books, not shying away from any of what LU has to offer him. His original plan for his education was to enter nursing, a skill set that would allow him to take care of his younger sister who suffered from spinal difficulties that left her unable to walk. When she passed away earlier this year, he felt that was no longer his purpose. Instead, after being involved with the media through interviews for the CGP, he believes he has stumbled across his passion and is working toward a degree in communication with an emphasis in broadcasting.

“I’m more of a creative person, whether it's in music or the sports I play or just in writing. So this is something I actually enjoy doing. If I took this for my actual career, I know that I would be great in it. Not just because of my personality, how I carry myself, the way that I speak or my education level, but because if you do something you love, then you know that you will succeed no matter what,” Haynes said.

Haynes auditioned for LUTV and is now the weatherman for the program. “I am not gonna lie, the weatherman position has been fun but demanding. Having to balance school, researching and practicing to get better in front of the camera is a lot to deal with. When it gets done, it’s all worth it,” said Haynes.“Being in front of the camera is easy. It just becomes hard when you have to meet an expectation people have for you. I am not going to say it is not reachable; it is just a hard mountain to climb.”

As for Germain, he continues to excel in his studies as well as getting involved outside of the classroom.

“I have been getting involved in more extracurriculars. It is hard because I am a freshman and am still learning, but that is what it is all about,” said Germain, “Most of my classes are pretty easy at this level, except chemistry. It's so hard. I’m glad to have tutorials for that course.”

Although the two work hard, they agree that they are still able to find time to take a break and relax.

“There is always something going on here at LU. Like with the recent Halloween movie nights and door decorating contest, I am the only non-decorated door in my hall and feel like the odd man out. There is always something new going on or some kind of new activity,” said Haynes.

The two also agree that finding the time to play video games is essential. 

“I was independent before I came here so time management isn't too big an issue. I can't play video games as much anymore because I have so much homework,” said Germain, “I try to knock everything out in the day so the last few hours of the night I can play video games.”

Throughout the past year, Germain and Haynes can see that much has changed.

“Looking back, I would tell myself that when you really feel like you just can't take it anymore, just keep pushing,” Haynes said, “because pressure makes diamonds, and you either give up or you just survive through it. Luckily I took the driving route, so I considered myself very lucky and very blessed to actually have the opportunity to be here.”

As for Germain, “If I could say something to myself a year ago, it would be you did it. You’re going to college.”

In the few months they have been at Lamar University, both Quinton Haynes and Elie Germain have already distinguished themselves in class and on campus, setting themselves up for successful college careers. The Chauncy Glover Project helped provide a jumpstart to the rest of their lives, but the work and dedication it took to get to where they are today is all their own.

This article first appeared in Cardinal Cadence: The Magazine of Lamar University, Volume 46, Issue 2. To receive your own copy of Cadence please contact Alumni Affairs at 409.880.8921 or alumni@lamar.edu.

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.