Health and Experience Gained with Nutrition-Athletics Partnership

Nutrition students are learning what it really takes to fuel an athlete, thanks to a recent partnership between the LU nutrition and dietetics program and the athletics division. The result, a diet overhaul for LU athletes.

“Right after workouts, I have to go straight to class," said volleyball player, Murielle Hlavac. "This used to cause me to neglect my nutrition, but good nutrition is important for growth after workouts.”

Now, athletes have convenient access to pre-workout snacks, such as bananas and oranges, and a post-workout breakfast buffet of power bars, sandwiches, and protein shakes. The program also teaches athletes to be mindful about what they put into their bodies and how it affects their performance, both as athletes and students.

“I used to not eat before or after practice. I felt dead all of the time. [Now] I feel much better. I’m actually energized for the test I am about to go take,” said tennis player, Lukas Grubelnig.

The partnership gives nutrition students hands-on experience and a realistic simulation of the professional communication dynamics that they might encounter in the future. Department chair, Dr. Jill Killough says the partnership allows students to expand their knowledge, marketable skills, and experience for their future career in nutrition & dietetics.

“I feel like I’m getting closer to the career that I want. It’s worth getting up at four in the morning,” said nutrition student Carolina Rodriguez.

Do you have a future in nutrition? Learn about our programs here.

The opinions and statements found on the Lamar University blog belong solely to the articles' authors and contributors and do not necessarily represent the those of Lamar University. Lamar University does not endorse products (unless otherwise stated) and encourages students to use critical thinking and good judgment while navigating online.