LU History

Lamar University was founded in 1923 a few blocks from the current location as South Park Junior College and enrolled 125 students in its first fall semester. The name changed to Lamar College in 1932 in honor of Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas and the “Father of Education” in Texas. In the early 1940s, Lamar separated from the South Park school district, which had created the college, and moved to its current location.

Students next to Mirabeau bust

In 1951, the school became Lamar State College of Technology, a state-supported four-year institution, the first junior college in Texas to make such a transition. Lamar experienced tremendous growth during the 1950s and 1960s in both the number of students and the number of buildings on campus.

Lamar’s stature as a research institution continued to grow with the introduction in 1970 of its first doctoral program. In 1971, the name changed to Lamar University. During the 1970s, the university began operating branch campuses in Port Arthur and Orange, which later became separate institutions. During the 1980s, the university was part of the Lamar University System.

Lamar University joined The Texas State University System in 1995. Under the leadership of LU President James Simmons, who took office in 1999, the university has experienced another period of significant growth. Since 1999, LU has added a host of facilities to improve campus life, attracted generous donations from alumni and friends, brought in prestigious research grants to improve scholarship and teaching, and set and broken enrollment records repeatedly. In recent years, Lamar University also has become a leader in online education, offering a variety of online courses and degree programs for dual credit, undergraduate and graduate students.