Alicen Flosi, PhD
Director of Sustainability
What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is most often defined as development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs (Brundtland Commission of the United Nations, March 20, 1987).
At Lamar University, that means making wise use of energy and other natural resources to minimize our environmental impact while still accomplishing the educational goals of our institution.
Lamar University has several sustainability initiatives in place. As we commit to increasing our efforts, the focus will be on:
- Enhancing the study of sustainability (cultural, economic, environmental and their interrelatedness) through curriculum development within undergraduate and graduate degree programs and research by students and faculty.
- Focusing on creating a net zero carbon footprint – through usage and conservation decisions.
- Continuing to strengthen and expand preexisting campus initiatives to reduce waste and recycle materials.
- Encourage the efficient use of resources for transportation including car pooling, public transportation, and biking.
- Developing enhanced visibility and participation in the sustainability efforts on campus.
- Expand our community outreach efforts related to sustainability.
- Orient purchasing decisions towards the most eco-friendly options.
Proposed activities include:
- Using the web and social media to increase awareness of sustainability on the Lamar University campus
- Coordinating and expanding upon disparate existing recycling efforts on campus
- Supporting the newly established Lamar University Community Garden
- Participating in community outreach to increase awareness of sustainability issues in Southeast Texas
- Establishing a new, interdisciplinary minor in Sustainability Studies
- Establishing awards to recognize faculty, staff, and students for outstanding achievements in sustainability activities
- Assisting faculty, staff, and students in seeking grants to support sustainability research and implementation
- Establishing a recharging station for electric cars on campus
- Following Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) principles in future construction and renovation projects wherever feasible.