Freshman Residency Requirement
The Board of Regents has established a freshman residency policy for Lamar University students that states: "All undergraduate, full-time students (those enrolled in 12 or more semester credit hours) with fewer than 24 earned semester credit hours, are required to reside in a University-operated residence hall."
On-campus housing exemptions may be granted for those who:
- Reside with a parent, guardian, or other adult relative;
- Are 21 years of age by the first class day;
- Enroll only in evening classes;
- Are married or have dependent children;
- Have a medical exemption signed by a doctor; or
- Have earned 24 or more credit hours.
Official documentation verifying exemptions to this policy may be required by the Department of Residence Life, in addition to the Lamar University Off-Campus Residency Request. Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Residence Life Office.