Lamar University History
In 1951, the school became Lamar State College of Technology, a state-supported four-year institution, the first junior college in Texas to make such a transition. Lamar experienced tremendous growth during the 1950s and 1960s in both the number of students and the number of buildings on campus.
Lamar’s stature as a research institution continued to grow with the introduction in 1970 of its first doctoral program. In 1971, the name changed to Lamar University. During the 1970s, the university began operating branch campuses in Port Arthur and Orange, which later became separate institutions. During the 1980s, the university was part of the Lamar University System.
Lamar University joined The Texas State University System in 1995. Under the leadership of President Emeritus James M. Simmons, who served from 1999 to 2013, the university experienced another period of significant growth adding a host of facilities to improve campus life, attracting generous donations from alumni and friends and prestigious research grants to improve scholarship and teaching, while setting repeated enrollment records. LU is a recognized leader in online education and has been designated as a Doctoral Research University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
The University welcomed its 15th president, Kenneth R. Evans, to the top post July 1, 2013.